Monday, January 18, 2010

Week Two: Online Communities

Online communities are a fantastic way to keep in touch with every aspect of our lives: family, friends and work contacts.  I've been a member of Facebook for several years and have utilized it and enjoyed keeping up with family and friends across the Globe.  I haven't experimented with posting links, but have posted a few photos. It is fun and a great way to re-connect with people.



This past week has shown me an even more important and essential need for online communities.  The earthquake in Haiti 'hit' a little closer to home than I'd originally thought.  One of my colleagues on the Gray County Farm Bureau Board had arrived in Haiti on a missions trip the evening before the earthquake.  As communications were totally knocked out, no one here in the States had any word about their whereabouts or condition for several days.  However, his family communicated with all of us -- family and friends -- with updates as word filtered in.  Updating all of us with one communication allowed his family to spread the word without clogging up the phone lines and  hoping they didn't leave someone out.  It truly is a blessing to be able to a part of that 'network!'

1 comment:

  1. What a great story! I love it. I have heard of lots of stories of people finding out about loved ones safety through Facebook.

    ReplyDelete